ARCHIVED! NOT MAINTAINED!
SealNote is simple notes/notepad application which focuses on security and simplicity. Your notes are password protected using 256-bit AES encryption. Keep sensitive information always available without compromising security!
- Password protection (256-bit AES encryption)
- Color code your notes
- Password expires after configurable timeout
- Protect content from screenshots, window switcher and other non-secure displays
- Multi-column layout with number of columns optimized for your screen size.
- Simple and easy to use UI/UX
- No ads ever!
Advantage of encrypting notes
- Keep private information such as credit cards, bank account and passwords in a single place
- Notes are encrypted locally so no one else can access them, unless they have password.
- Since encryption is done at storage level, access of notes directly from disk is not possible. Hence if you ever lose phone, you won't lose your notes to thieves.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Why not use XYZ app with application lock?
Application locks prevents user from opening application, but does not secure the storage. Hence adversary can simply access the storage file directly and read the content.
If someone connects phone to computer and copies/read the data file storingall the notes, can't they read everything?
They can't. No one can, regardless how they access the data file (unless they have your secret password). The application uses a technique called encryption. Encryption uses your password to convert notes to unreadable form which makes no sense to anyone even computer. This can be converted back to readable text only using exact same password.
I forgot my password. How do I recover my notes?
You can't. Your password is not stored anywhere but in your brain. If you lose your password, you will lose all your notes. Storing password locally or on server is a security hole which should be avoided.
I can't take screenshots from app or I see blank screenshot in application switcher. What's wrong?
You probably have enabled "Secure Window" feature in SealNote settings. Disable it to be able to take screenshots or show window content in application switcher.
Contributions are much appreciated. Please go through this section to understand how and what to contribute.
If you need ideas for contribution, please check currently open issues. If you want to propose a new feature, please open a new issue. A good feature can be something which improves some workflow or security for a user.
Tools of trade
- Java 1.7+
- Android API Level 19+
How to submit a pull request
- Clone sealnote:
git clone https://github.com/vishesh/sealnote.git && cd sealnote
- Verify that build succeeds:
- Create a topic branch:
git checkout -b feature
- Make your changes.
- Fork sealnote on GitHub.
- Add your fork as remote:
git remote add <YOUR-USER> https://github.com/<YOUR-USER>/sealnote.git
- Push to your fork:
git push -u <YOUR-USER> HEAD
- Open a pull request against master branch describing your changes.
The project follows Google's Java Style Guide with following exceptions:
- 4 spaces indentation instead of 2.
- Horizontal alignment is recommended if it makes code more readable.
If you see any violation, feel free to submit a patch.
There is no strict guideline on commit messages. However, whenever possible, follow Git-book's guidelines.
We value documentation and believe in continuous improvement. All the documents can be considered living documents, unless stated otherwise. Please follow the general contribution guidelines when submitting a patch for documents.
Send bugs to the above email with [Sealnote][BUG] tags in subject.